Monday, April 25, 2011

My roots

I thought I should explain the title of my blog, "Roots."

It only took me a couple of minutes, but there are a couple of reasons for that particular title.

First of all, I wanted it to mean something.  More than "Jon's Blog" or "My Life" that stated the obvious.  More than something cliché like "In my life," the title of a song by the Beatles.

Second, I did not want the title to limit my topics and put me in a box.  "A day in the life" would limit me to my day-to-day activities without leaving room for other discussion topics.  A title reflecting my views might make it sound like I have an agenda, which is not true.  I plan on sharing some of my views on life and other topics, but this is not intended to be a pulpit to preach from.  If anything, it is for you to get to know me better or be thought-provoking, even if you do not agree with me.

So I settled on Roots.  Wherever my travels take me and whatever my situation is, I put down roots through my connections with other people and my surroundings.  My roots reflect where I come from and my experiences-they have shaped all of my views, some of which I will expound on in this blog.

Now to name my new Garmin GPS unit, which is proving more difficult.  Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment