Monday, May 16, 2011

A day in the life

Wow, long day.

I got up at 5:50am today to work breakfast, which involves setting up and breaking down the buffets for both the staff and guest meals.  That was done a little before 11:00, so I got on the internet for a bit, then ate lunch with the staff.  Then at 12:30 I found Randy, the guy in charge of maintenance, to see what my 'project' shift entailed.  Turns out this meant raking grass around the entrance and some of cabins for four and a half hours.  I raked up little piles, put them in a wheel barrow, and then ferried them to a truck to go dump in back of the ranch.  Repeat many times.

Right now I am exhausted.  But it feels good.

I enjoyed college and all, but there is a huge difference between that and really working.  Sitting in class for a couple of hours, followed by more sitting and studying and maybe finally a good run is good and all, but working is great.  I like this change of pace.  Physical labor makes you feel great at the end of the day as oppose to just working your brain.  I have only been sitting for perhaps two hours today, and the rest I was standing, walking, lifting, carrying, raking, and hauling.  Then I went on a 5 mile trail run with another guy here.  Needless to say, the altitude kicked my butt, but I did manage to keep up.  Then I went and sat in the hot tub with a cold la croix and gazed out at the mountain peaks and life was better again.  It is hard to believe that I am getting paid and fed to live here.

Tomorrow is my day off and there might be a trip down the road to Yellow Stone in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment