Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cutting Butter

My second real job was bussing tables at the Bistro on the Boulevard in St. Joseph my junior year in high school.  One of the tasks I did every night there was cut butter to go along with the bread we gave all of our guests.  While it sounds like a simple job, butter does not always cooperate.  In fact, most of the time it does not.  It will often fall apart into chunks when you cut it (sigh).  Redo.

Needless to say, I have cut a lot of butter in the past five years or so while working in restaurants.  It turns out this is a very useful skill even today: I do it every night at Mountain Sky.  We bake fresh bread every day to put out at dinner, ranging from cherry rounds to ciabatta, and my personal favorite, focaccia.  Bread needs butter, so we cut enough for 60 people every night.

All of those years of practice are coming in handy.  I never thought it would be a skill I would reuse.  Maybe it deserves a line in my resume under the "Skills" category.

In other news, does anyone have any job ideas for the winter for me?  I will be unemployed as of November 1.  Willing to travel and/or relocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment