Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Yellowstone again

On my day off today I went to Yellowstone with a buddy and we hit up a stream flowing off of a lake.  We hiked about 2 miles to Grizzly lake with an inflatable boat that turned out to be useless due to the high wind, but found the stream instead.  There was a mayfly hatch-perfect!  Fish were jumping left and right for flies.  We threw on some matching imitations and nailed 'em.  My first brook trout was about 4 inches long, but they only got longer after that.  My biggest was about 9 inches.

The sun was shining all day long and the breeze kept us cool enough when we were not hiking.  All in all a perfect day.  To top it off we then drove to the Gibbon river and fished for twenty minutes or so, just enough time for my buddy to catch a 22 inch brown trout.

Getting out into Yellowstone to hike would have been enough for me, but catching fish was just a bonus.  The beauty of the park gets me every time.  There was no place I would rather have been today than catching brook trout while surrounded by one of the most beautiful landscapes on Earth.  If you have not been outside for a while, get outside.  Smell the wild roses, lupine, balsam root, or whatever grows by you.  Take a walk in the woods.  At least for me, there is nothing like enjoying the beauty of nature, and nothing that compares.

No comments:

Post a Comment