Monday, December 24, 2012

November Vacation: Moab

Now that I am settled in at my winter digs and the ground is blanketed in snow, it is time to revisit November.  After leaving Mountain Sky, my travels took me to Moab, Utah, a land of sand, rocks, sun, and scrub brush.  A place molded by wind and water that is unlike anything else I have ever encountered.  My week in Moab was spent exploring Arches & Canyonlands National Parks, as well as the myriad state and federal parcels of land that surround the town.


A swimming hole!  Took my only bath for the week here.


Needless to say, it is like nothing this Midwesterner has ever encountered.  Here are some Arches National Park pictures.







And a pic of one of my campsites, along with some night photos I took during the full moon that coincided with my visit.  Cameras are fun.




One of the most mind boggling things in Moab is the amount of petroglyphs on canyon walls from hundreds or thousands of years ago when the area received more rainfall and Native Americans had permanent settlements in the area.



While Arches is relatively small, Canyonlands National Park is enormous, with three main areas and two different entrances that do not connect to one another.  Let's start with the sunrise I awoke to my first day in Canyonlands.


As the sun was setting...





Makes you feel small, doesn't it?




And of course I couldn't leave this pic out, being in Utah and all...



1 comment:

  1. That looks like a beautiful trip. I'm planning to go the first week of November this year. How was the weather while you visited?

    ReplyDelete